AEM is a voluntary, incentive-based program that helps farmers make common-sense, cost-effective and science-based decisions to help meet business objectives while protecting and conserving the State’s natural resources. Farmers work with their District resource professional to develop comprehensive farm plans using a tiered process:
- Tier 1 – Inventory current activities, future plans and potential environmental concerns.
- Tier 2 – Document current land stewardship; assess and prioritize areas of concern.
- Tier 3 – Develop conservation plans addressing concerns and opportunities tailored to farm goals.
- Tier 4 – Implement plans utilizing available financial, educational and technical assistance.
- Tier 5 – Evaluate to ensure the protection of the environment and farm viability.